The newborn sleeps about 20 hours a day, by the end of the first month the waking time is already longer. The one-time wakefulness period is also important: for newborns it should be no more than 30-45 minutes, otherwise, the baby may be overexcited and have problems falling asleep. If the baby sleeps a little more or a couple of hours less in the first month, also do not worry. Everything is individual and if the child feels good, alert and active, then you should not worry. If you still worry, then you should ask a question to the pediatrician at the examination or your neurologist.
How much does the baby sleep in 1 month, and how much is awake?
Sleep for a newborn is very important. During rest, the body produces growth hormone - somatotropin. It is this substance that is responsible for the growth and development of organs and systems, including the formation of the brain.
In order for somatotropin to be produced in the required amount, it is necessary that the baby rests sufficiently. The sleep of the newborn is broken into small pieces of approximately the same duration.
The kid is resting day and night. However, he still does not distinguish between time of day. He lacks the concept of regime. Caring mothers are interested in how much a baby should sleep in 1 month. In the first weeks of life, the baby rests about 20 hours a day.
He wakes up to feed or due to exposure to irritating external factors. Closer to a month old, the duration of sleep is reduced to 16-19 hours. Much depends on the individual characteristics of the child's body, the level of physical activity.
The duration of rest of the newborn depends on the following:
- emotional richness of the day
- type of feeding (usually artificers sleep longer than infants),
- crib comfort
- humidity and temperature in the room,
- health status,
- lighting brightness
- degree of noise.
The optimal position for sleeping, for a monthly baby - on its side. It is recommended to alternate the right and left sides so that the skeleton develops evenly, the body does not flow. It is better not to put it on the back of the newborn. If the baby burps, then it can be choked with vomit. To prevent the child from turning over on his back, a roller from a blanket or towel should be put in place.
It’s also not worth sleeping on the baby’s stomach. Monthly children still do not know how to control the muscles of the neck. The child can bury his nose in the mattress and suffocate. The posture lying on the stomach is useful for the baby. It allows you to strengthen the muscles of the neck and arms. Therefore, during the day during wakefulness, you can lay the child on his stomach. But you can’t leave him unattended.
Monthly baby activates for about an hour. In order to spend this time with benefit, it is necessary, in addition to feeding and hygienic procedures, to do gymnastics, laying on the stomach. Play and exercise is recommended after waking up. Closer to bed, relaxing massage and bathing are shown.
Walking on the street is important for the baby. They contribute to the saturation of the body with oxygen, are a good prevention of rickets. You can combine outdoor activities with sleep. Pediatricians are advised to start accustoming the newborn to the regimen. It is good for baby and mother.
Then there will be no problems with over- or lack of sleep. To speed up this process, it is recommended to start accustoming the baby to the regimen from the second week of life. An example of the monthly baby's daily routine is shown in the table below.
|6:00-7:00||Awakening, changing diapers, washing, feeding with milk or a mixture.|
|8:00-9:00||Wash, second feeding|
|11:00-12:00||Putting on a breast or giving a mixture from a bottle|
|12:00-14:00||Sleep combined with a walk on the street|
|17:30-19:00||Fifth feeding, communication, massage|
|23:00-6:00||Sleep with a break on feeding on demand|
How much does a month-old baby sleep?
The daily rate of sleep for a baby of this age varies from 17 to 20 hours, the rest of the time he is awake. However, it is necessary to take into account the individual characteristics of the baby and remember that an increase or decrease in the mentioned norm by 1-1.5 hours does not at all indicate deviations.
Today, pediatricians adhere to the point of view: if the baby has a good appetite, regular stool, normal body temperature, then only the need of the body determines how much the baby should sleep in 1 month.
Knowing the specifics of temperament, monitoring the condition of the newborn will help establish how long the baby needs to sleep. If the baby is gaining weight correctly, not being capricious, then he has slept. Most often, children of this age sleep from 2 to 3 hours.
The duration of sleep upon reaching one month of age differs from how much a newborn should sleep: in the first days, the baby sleeps from 20 to 22 hours. Thus, having been born, the baby is physically active for only 1–4 hours, and the rest of the time is immersed in dreams.
His daytime sleep is ten hours, nighttime - nine hours or more, it must be borne in mind that after 2-3 hours, the newborn wakes up to eat. This time is also given to swimming, changing the diaper.
The first month of life is convenient for the formation in the baby of the habit of the correct alternation of wakefulness and sleep time. From how newborns sleep, their health depends on their further development. The baby will fall asleep soundly if you hold him in his arms: a feeling of closeness of the mother gives him confidence, so the dream becomes deep.
The reasons for the violation of the norm that establishes how much a newborn baby sleeps per day are listed below:
- One of the most common problems with improper sleep patterns is the crying of a baby when falling asleep. A similar phenomenon is the result of overwork: the baby was barely born, his the nervous system is not strengthened, he is still learning to adapt to the world.
- Another reason for the lack of sound sleep: the baby is not able to relax. After all, before birth, he lived in the womb - a cramped space - and felt protected. Now everything is different: he is free, but such freedom is unusual for him. It is necessary to wrap the baby in a diaper, but not tight, giving the opportunity to move arms, legs. By the way, a sleeping bag is very convenient. The baby will calm down, relax and fall asleep.
- The baby can be restless due to air entering the esophagus when feeding. This happens if the baby is not properly applied to the chest, as indicated by a sweep of air, clicking. You need to re-attach the baby to the chest. Sometimes it’s enough to hold the baby not horizontally, but vertically so that he does not cry.
How to make your baby sleep better at night
How to improve a child’s sleep before and after one year? There are several general recommendations for any age, following which you can qualitatively affect the baby's rash. The regimen is established, the waking time is respected in accordance with age, what else can be done?
With patience and following a few rules, you can learn how to make your baby sleep better:
- Learn to fall asleep yourself. When the first signs of fatigue appear, it is necessary to start bedtime and laying down. It is not necessary for the baby to fall asleep on his arms or with chest in his mouth.
- Another recommendation on how to improve a child’s sleep is to regulate activity. During wakefulness, immediately after the awakening has come, it is necessary to ensure a fun and active pastime so that the baby has the opportunity to spend a sufficient amount of energy. But do not get too carried away: the active phase should be replaced by a calm wakefulness that precedes falling asleep. At an older age, you can draw or read books at this time.
- How to make your child sleep better at night - introduce a daily ritual that will indicate the approach of sleep. What exactly this will be is decided individually in each family, depending on children's age (putting toys to "sleep", bedtime story, for babies - sequential actions, for example, they bought, fed, sang a lullaby and put them to bed).
- Another piece of advice on improving your baby’s night's sleep is about daytime walks. At any age, the baby should spend a sufficient amount in the fresh air throughout the year (with the exception of adverse weather conditions).
The correct mode of the baby in 1 month
The main thing that every young mother needs to know is that all children are very individual. Your baby’s body is different from other babies, so its mode may be different from your girlfriend’s baby. The task of each crumbs is to eat and of course sleep. But the needs of babies, as a rule, are different to ensure full growth, physical and mental development, therefore, the duration of sleep in children is diverse and may be less than that established by average normative indicators.
It is very difficult to answer the question of how much time a newborn baby sleeps in 1 month, and even more so indicate a specific time frame. Today, newborns are being patronized, data on the regimen of the day of infants are being collected to establish the average (averaged) indicators for the normal development of newborns. Did you know that your baby can sleep up to 18 or more hours a day, but the duration of sleep can range up to 20 and up to 16 hours.
The baby’s sleep time depends on what kind of food he is on and where exactly the baby is sleeping. As a rule, babies who are breastfeeding sleep with their mothers. Therefore, such babies sleep at night for 9, and sometimes 10 hours, but babies wake up about 7-8 times a night, because of the need for food. Mom can sleep with the baby. In addition, some women say that a small miracle can be applied to the breast all night, therefore, in order not to get up and take away the daughter or son from the crib for breastfeeding, they prefer to sleep together several times a night. In turn, we recommend that you try to accustom the child to sleep in your crib, choose into it a beautiful baby bedding that you can buy at the link, hang a canopy and rattles, create comfort. If the child learns to fall asleep on his own in his crib, it will become much easier for you and the two of you will get better sleep.
When your baby is on artificial feeding, then he can sleep no more than 7 hours. And mom will have to get up at least 3 times during the night to prepare a mixture for the crumbs, which must be poured into the bottle and her temperature should not be more than 36-37 degrees, so as not to burn the baby's mouth.
Consider the mode of daytime sleep. The baby can sleep up to 5 times during the day, and the total daytime sleep can range up to 10 hours. Every baby has a very individual daytime sleep. Some crumbs fall asleep themselves after they eat and at the same time, and therefore mothers get used to it and quickly adapt to their baby’s regimen. But there are some babies who sleep at different times, and they do not have a constant sleep regimen and it is difficult for parents to adapt to them.
We want to draw your attention to the fact that it is worth monitoring the waking time of a child. Do not let the baby not sleep for a long time. If your child does not sleep more than an hour, then this is bad. Because the child is very difficult to endure long periods of wakefulness, overwork is fraught with nervousness and other deviations in the health of the crumbs. Therefore, it is better to lay the baby so that he rests more time and in no case is overworked. If your baby is overexcited, then it is very difficult to put him to bed.
Remember! The nature of each child is different. Therefore, one does not need to look for any normative values in his behavior. The body of infants is very individual, so completely different times of sleep or wakefulness may be required to ensure its needs. He can sleep for 4-5 hours and after some period of time fall asleep again. The total duration of your little miracle’s sleep may be 16, or even 18 or 20 hours, and may not correspond to the sleep of other children. And this does not mean that your baby is not healthy.
When your baby, at the age of one month, is not restless, eats well, his body temperature is 36.6 - 36.8 degrees, that is, normal, regularly pisses and poops, begins to be interested in the objects surrounding him in a timely manner, begins to distinguish between adults, then your baby is healthy, and you should not have cause for concern. But suddenly your child starts, sobbing during sleep, you observe tremors of arms, legs or even chin when he cries, you should definitely contact specialists in order to timely eliminate the cause of the restless behavior of the baby.
Day and night sleep
How much a monthly baby should sleep in the daytime and at night, it is impossible to determine exactly, because each baby is individual. As a rule, during the day, sleep periods are from 15 minutes to 2-3 hours. At this time of day, the baby sleeps 7-8 hours.
The duration of sleep periods depends on how many times, 4 or 8, a month-old baby should sleep during the day. Both that, and another is considered a norm. Get enough sleep walks in the open air. Due to the fact that the lungs are saturated with oxygen, the baby sometimes sleeps for several hours in a row.
A kid of this age should be awake for no more than 1 hour, exceeding the norm leads to overwork. The shorter the age, the shorter the wakefulness period.
At night, the baby sleeps 8.5-10 hours, falling into a sleepy state in between feedings. The baby wakes up twice or thrice a night to be fed, replaced by diapers.
The baby is sleeping with her mother longer, stronger: he can always kiss his chest. In separate sleep, you need to feed the newborn according to the regimen, but the child will sleep less - 6-7 hours.
Therefore, the presence or absence of the mother next to the baby also determines how much the monthly baby will sleep at night.
The period when the baby closes his eyes, is immersed in dreams, is called surface sleep phase, which lasts about 40 minutes. During this time, the child moves, twitches with arms, legs, easily wakes up.
It is advisable to stay with him until he calms down. Then comes the phase of deep sleep: the baby sleeps soundly, the pose is relaxed, the expression on his face is serene, calm. In newborns, it lasts about an hour, subsequently increases.
It often happens that an infant confuses day and night, because it does not distinguish between time of day. Then you should return the child to the usual way of life: in the afternoon - to stay awake, at night - to sleep. Do not lay early in the evening, setting the approximate time of motion sickness, you need to adhere to this routine. Regular repetition of such actions will help establish the baby's sleep.
Reasons for lack of sleep for a month old baby
It happens that the child sleeps less than expected. In this case, you need to pay attention to his behavior and condition. If a newborn eats with appetite, gains weight, he has a good mood during wakefulness, this means that he has enough sleep for a recovery lasting less than normal.
If the baby is capricious, behaves uneasily, eats poorly, lags behind in development and growth, then this indicates that rest is not enough for him. Lack of sleep can be due to the influence of internal and external factors.
The most common causes of lack of sleep in newborns:
- the presence of pathology,
- uncomfortable sleeping place
- binge eating,
- uncomfortable indoor microclimate,
- poor care
- lack of attention of parents.
The immune system in newborns is still completely unformed, so the probability of infection with viruses and infections is very high. If a child has a headache, fever, a runny nose or a cough, this will interfere with his sleep. Often, babies have digestive problems. They are expressed in constipation, diarrhea.
There may be a malfunction in the digestive tract due to:
- non-compliance by the nursing mother with a diet,
- improperly prepared or poor-quality mixture.
In these cases, pain in the lower abdomen may occur. Until three months of age, many children are concerned about colic. Their etiology is not thoroughly studied. There is an assumption that increased gas formation is due to the underdevelopment of the gastrointestinal tract.
Colic causes severe discomfort. The baby in this case cries, presses his legs to his stomach. If the day of the newborn turned out to be too emotional, then he may overwork. Then it will be hard to put him to bed. The child will be capricious and cry. His sleep will be superficial and disturbing.
The baby may be anxious if he has a wet diaper. Of great importance is the comfort of sleeping conditions. If the mattress in the bed is too hard, the room is hot or cold, then the baby will be uncomfortable. In this case, he will sleep very badly.
Noise, glare also disturb the child’s rest. Monthly children sleep superficially. Therefore, any annoying factor can wake them up.
Newborns are strongly attached to their mother (especially for breast-fed children). They are calm when they smell and warm their loved ones. If the mother left the child with her grandparents, then the baby can sleep poorly.
How to establish a sleep and wakefulness regime?
Violation of sleep and wakefulness in a month-old baby causes great excitement in parents. Due to their inexperience, young mothers do not know how to adjust the daily routine. The first thing to do is to find out the cause of the failures in the schedule and eliminate it. Tips for establishing sleep and wakefulness are given in the table below.
|The reason for the violation of the regime||Troubleshooting Tips|
|The child is malnourished or overeating||Revise the nutritional schedule, reduce or increase the amount of food|
|Disease||See a doctor. Self-medication is fraught with bad consequences|
|Colic||Perform a massage of the abdomen to release gas from the intestines|
|Overwork||Reduce your wakefulness. Protect the baby from the influence of stressful situations. Do a relaxing massage before bed|
|Maternal attention deficit||Spend more time with your child. It is better to put a crib near the berth of parents|
|Poor hygiene||More often to change the diaper, wash the baby|
|Uncomfortable microclimate||Try to keep the temperature in the room within + 22-24 degrees, and humidity - at around 50-60%. It is possible to achieve standard values by airing the room, heating with an electric fireplace, hanging wet towels|
|Uncomfortable sleeping place||The mattress should be chosen orthopedic, medium hardness. The bedding should be clean, light shades made of natural fabrics. No pillow for a month old baby|
|Influence of irritating external factors||Provide a quiet and relaxing environment while the baby is relaxing. During the day, it is better to hang the window with curtains or lower the blinds so that bright sunlight does not enter the room. At night you can turn on the nightlight. He creates twilight|
Sleep and Feeding
Although month-old babies sleep almost a day, they need to be fed regularly. Young mothers are often worried about how much a newborn should sleep between meals. The norm is if the baby wakes up to eat every 1.5–2 hours.
The stomach volume of infants is still very small, breast milk is absorbed very quickly, which means that it should be fed gradually, but often so that there is enough food. At least once in 3 hours, the baby is applied to the chest, so as not to disrupt the process of breastfeeding.
A continuous four- or five-hour baby’s sleep often indicates developmental abnormalities, because he doesn’t eat, defecate on time, the baby’s body lacks nutrients. Such an incorrect regime is fraught with negative consequences:
- mismatch of weight with the age of the child,
- violation of the respiratory, digestive system.
The baby cries when falling asleep: the main reasons
- One of the common causes of crying when falling asleep is overwork of the baby.
The nervous system of the child is very weak. He was born recently and is still only learning to live in this world.
Remember how you came to a new place, or your first day at school, college. You are constantly in tension, you look at the classmates, are afraid to miss something.
A similar condition is experienced by a newborn child.
It is important to observe the rhythms of sleep and wakefulness. If the child falls asleep - he does not need to be awakened. Track and control his waking hours.
Important: The maximum waking time in 1 month is no more than 1 hour.
The difference of 15 minutes will be critical for the child. The nervous system will become overexcited, and instead of sitting comfortably on your handles, close your eyes, and sucking your chest, fall asleep, the child will scream, grunt, break out.
This is a signal to you: the right time for laying - you missed. Therefore, watch out how much time your baby is no longer sleeping and start laying it yourself on time.
- Crying can express fear of the child.
It’s not yet clear to the child that there is a world of dreams, but reality. Every dream is a small life, because babies have dreams, like adults.
It is believed that up to 1 year, if the birth was difficult, traumatic, passed with medical intervention - they can dream of a child, and this greatly scares him.
Therefore, every retirement is a struggle. The child seemed to say with his cry: “I do not want to go there! I'm alone there and I'm scared! ”
The way out here may be only one: Do not put the child away from you as soon as he falls asleep.
Hold it in your hands, and give the opportunity, even in a dream, to feel your presence nearby. This will help to adapt faster, live through a difficult birth, build up inner confidence that mom is always there and every month, the baby’s sleep will be deeper.
Do not be afraid to accustom your child. Rather, it is now even a necessity than spoiling.
- The baby wants to sleep, but can't relax.
While it was inside your abdomen - everything was clear: the cramped walls of the uterus, a small space, dark, and it was in these conditions that all 9 months of fetal life became a safety condition for the child.
Now the theory of children's independence from the very diaper is spreading more and more. And just from them mothers increasingly refuse.
The little peanut, already dressed in jeans, a shirt and a cap, looks great in the photograph. Memory for life.
BUT! For the child, the conditions for restful sleep are still tight space!
Therefore, if a baby cries when falling asleep, use a diaper. Swaddle him. Only not tight, so that he could not move his arms or legs - this is not convenient. Will protest.
Swaddle your shoulder girdle, and let the child move his legs and arms calmly. Most of the children, in my practice, a visiting consultant on breastfeeding and childcare, immediately calm down and relax when they are in a cramped space. How to swaddle a baby, bathe him and provide proper care, see the online course "Happy motherhood: a soft care technique" >>>
It helps them relax. As the diaper grows, it will be required less and less, and gradually you will completely get rid of them.
A good alternative to a diaper is a sleeping bag. This is such children's clothing in which the baby is placed, and at the same time limited space is created, but the baby can move quietly.
- The baby may cry because of air which got into his esophagus while feeding.
If it is not properly applied to the chest, the baby can take in air and then get very worried about it. Be sure to check, and watch throughout the feeding whether the baby is sliding on the nipple.
If you hear a whistle of air when feeding, clicking - the baby is definitely incorrectly attached!
Carefully pick up the baby’s chest and reapply correctly to the chest.
With strong crying, and if the above methods do not help, change the pose: take the baby upright and wear it in this position. If the reason for crying before bedtime was in the air, then as soon as the baby gets rid of it, he will relax and fall asleep.
If the baby cries due to colic, help him with safe methods from the course “Soft tummy: how to save the baby from colic and gas?”
Should I worry if the newborn sleeps a lot?
Too long sleep of a month old baby scares caring parents. It is necessary to find out why the baby began to relax longer than usual. Probably, the newborn is very tired and needs more time to recover. But lingering sleep may also be due to pathological reasons.
- deep sleep longer than three hours in one position,
- painful condition of the epidermal integument (blue, redness),
- sleep is accompanied by whimpering, silent crying,
- dry diapers for 6 hours,
- Sinking of the fontanel.
All this indicates the presence of the disease.
If the newborn sleeps longer than normal, lethargic and weak during wakefulness, he has signs of pathology, then you need to contact a pediatrician.
Dr. Komarovsky about a baby’s dream
According to the doctor, on average, children of this age sleep 16–20 hours. Dr. Komarovsky, answering the question of how many hours a child sleeps at 1 month, calls external factors contributing to healthy, sound sleep:
- cleanliness of the room
- air temperature,
- humidity level.
According to the pediatrician, the causes of difficulty falling asleep and night awakenings are as follows:
- Hunger, because the need to eat is higher than the desire to sleep.
- Discomfort caused by environmental conditions: the child is stuffy, hot, or cold, a sharp change in the degree of illumination of the room, loud sounds.
- Mental state of the mother: on the baby negative and positive emotions of mom.
- Emotional, physical overload.
- Pain: help from a doctor is required.
The children's doctor Komarovsky claims that favorable conditions for a good sleep for a child aged 1 month are:
- optimal air temperature - 18–20 degrees,
- relative air humidity - 50–70 percent,
- regular ventilation
- wet cleaning before bedtime
- good diaper
- warm comfortable clothes.
How much should a baby sleep in 1 month?
Waking time a monthly baby is from 45 minutes to 1 hour. The younger the child, the shorter the waking time. So, for a child who is 7-10 days awake time is a maximum of 20 minutes.
This is enough to change the diaper or diaper, wash the ass, do a little massage, smile and go for a couple of times, put on the baby and put it on the chest again. All. Sleep.
Due to such a little wakefulness, the false impression is created that the baby sleeps all day. In many books you come across exactly this phrase, and you probably want to beat the authors who wrote incorrectly.
But the baby sleeps with interruptions in waking, and sleeps most often with her mother under the breast. The first month should be devoted to your recovery after childbirth, and to child care training, so that you can then enter into an active and exciting life with the baby in her arms.
- Duration of dreams during the day will be different: from 15 minutes to 2-3 hours. Both that, and another is a variant of the norm.
- Total duration of night sleep - 8-10 hours, including waking up for feeding, or waking up from what has been described and you need to change the diaper (diaper).
- Happy baby can sleep 4 to 8 times. It all depends on the duration of dreams. The shorter the dream, the more there will be during the day.
About the sleep mode of a newborn baby in 1 month in the video:
Thus, sleep for babies is very important. Monthly children are weak, so they need frequent rest. They sleep about 16-19 hours a day. Pediatricians recommend starting the second week to teach newborns to the daily routine. If the sleep and rest regimen is violated, then you need to find out the reason and try to eliminate it.
The useful thing is: how much a newborn baby should sleep
Summing up the above, it should be noted that today, when there is so much information about caring for infants, it is not difficult to find the answer to the question of how many hours a baby is supposed to sleep. The main thing remains one - a wise mother's heart, feeling what is good for the baby and what is bad. Only the mother understands when the baby needs to eat, sleep or stay awake. The advice of a competent pediatrician and the sensitive soul of a loving mother - this is what a little man needs for health and happiness.
What will help you get enough sleep in such a situation?
I advise you to just start sleep with your baby!
This is the best way for mom to survive in the first months after giving birth and to feel normal throughout the day.
As for the child's daytime dreams, remember the rule: up to 6 months. baby you must sleep 1-2 daytime sleep with him. Your resource must also be restored, otherwise you will quickly get tired, your mood and health will deteriorate.
Of course, in this article only a few reasons for the long falling asleep of a baby are analyzed. For information on how to cope with other causes of a baby’s poor sleep, see the “Sleeping Baby from 0 to 6 Months” online course >>>
In the comments write how your baby sleeps? What scares and disturbs you the most in his dream?
Can a baby fall asleep during the day himself
Starting from the age of three months, independent sleep is also quite capable of organizing parents. The child cries and wants to sleep with his mother when he is scared and uncomfortable. In his own crib, he will fall asleep without problems, feeling safe in it, and all physiological needs are completely and completely satisfied.
Having laid the baby to sleep during the day or evening, sit down next to him, talk to him, stroke him - let him feel your presence, even closing his eyes. And go away, only making sure a sound sleep. But still, if the baby is scared and he is crying - you need to respond immediately. If she cries, it means she asks for help, there is a reason for concern, and only her mother’s presence can calm the baby (the reasons for the crying of a newborn baby).
Why a month-old baby does not sleep well, often wakes up and cries
What do parents need to know if the child is a month old and does not sleep well? In this age period, it is difficult to overestimate the importance of healthy and quality sleep, because it plays an important role for the development and growth of the baby. Sometimes at this age problems just start to arise.
At the age of one month, the baby should sleep 15.5-18 hours (of which 8-10 fall during the night and 6-8 in the afternoon). It is undesirable for breaks between dreams to exceed 1.5 hours. During this time, the child eats, he is prepared for bed and he falls asleep.
If a month-old baby does not sleep well, this regimen may be impaired and the infant suffers from a lack of sleep. In this case, the first thing to do is adjust the “sleepy” mode.
By the end of the first month of life, a newborn has a jump in development, which in most cases entails problems with falling asleep and quality of sleep.At this moment, the body is in a phase of rapid maturation, which affects not only the development of the physical body and organs, but also the emotional sphere.
The baby is frightened by new sensations, so he wants to be near his mother all the time, can “hang on his chest” for a long time, cry more than usual. Therefore, it is not surprising that during this period, parents most often wonder why a child does not sleep well in a month.
Closer to 1.5 months, the baby has another round in development: he begins to see better, can begin to smile, thus showing his joy. Parents note that at six weeks old children can begin to cry more and more often crying attacks occur in the afternoon until midnight.
Therefore, if a child is a month old and does not sleep well at night, do not rush to run to the pediatrician for magic pills, you need to monitor the baby, adjust the wakefulness time and sleep time.
In the daytime, the monthly baby sleeps 4 to 5 times, the duration of sleep is 40 minutes. - 2 hours. If the child is a month old, and he does not sleep well during the day, perhaps the daily routine is incorrectly drawn up by the parents, the baby is not enough in the fresh air, the wakefulness time is longer than the permissible time.
To find the reason, you can start a sleep diary. It will help determine the intervals of sleep and wakefulness, the number of daytime dreams, their regularity.
An important question is why a month-old baby does not sleep well at night. The reason may be in parental errors, which are committed by inexperience. At night, you should not wake the baby to give him a meal.
There is no need at this time to turn on the light or behave too noisy when the baby wakes up. He should have an understanding that night is a time for sleep and rest, not entertainment. An excellent indicator if there is one night sleep lasting from 3 to 5 hours.
In rare cases, the question of why a month-old baby does not sleep well requires going to the doctor for an answer, because indeed difficulties with sleep are sometimes provoked by various diseases, disorders, and developmental disabilities.
Therefore, if the schedule of sleep and wakefulness is established, the baby receives a normal amount of food, the duration of walks on the street is enough for him, but he still does not sleep well, cannot sleep for a long time, and the situation does not improve in a couple of weeks, it is better to contact the pediatrician for advice and exclusion of development illnesses.
Need a daily routine for babies
The competent organization of the regime for a monthly baby is important for several reasons. Accustomed at a certain time to eat, sleep, swim, the baby is always in a good mood, he is active and happy with everything that all his needs are satisfied. This is the first valuable experience of a child adapting to new living conditions. If the adaptation is successful, the baby will learn to breathe on its own, eat properly and behave calmly, even if mommy has gone away for a while.
For mom, this is also of great importance - in addition to the fact that the baby is accustomed to order in everything from childhood, the daily routine of a month-old baby allows you to:
- clearly distribute their responsibilities around the house by the hours, schedule important tasks, make time for a short rest and take care of yourself,
- mothers, thanks to the correct feeding regime with breast milk, are given the opportunity to saturate the baby’s body with nutrients to the extent that he needs them - preventing him from overeating, this eliminates such unpleasant problems as diathesis, including allergic,
- with such an established system, there will always be free time, which is so necessary for young parents to devote it to each other and, thus, maintain a wonderful relationship.
In the life of a young family, this means consistency, calm and a friendly attitude, because it is chaos that causes discord, makes parents nervous and irritable, and this, of course, affects the newborn.
The influence of parents on the frequency of night sleep
The duration of a child’s sleep at different ages largely depends on the parents. So, starting from the second or third month, the mother should develop a daily schedule of crumbs, which indicate the approximate intervals of sleep, moments of feeding, walking, bathing, etc. Ultimately, to teach a baby to sleep longer at night is in your best interest. This is done as follows:
- during the day the baby should be laid in strictly defined hours,
- Before going to bed, it is recommended to conduct a whole “tactical operation”, stretching the period of the last wakefulness long enough and “tiring” the baby by 24 hours, as a result, he will begin to sleep very soundly.
At the last, evening, stage, you usually have to have a baby bath, and long walks - communication with parents, and, of course, evening feeding. Clean and fed, in fresh diapers and full of mother's love, the baby falls asleep quickly, without nerves, and sleeps for a long time, sensing the presence of his relatives.
For six-month-old children, it is important to form a ritual of going to bed. Kids quickly learn persistent, repeating daily at the same time actions
- mom begins to wash the baby’s face with moistened cotton balls and wipe the body with napkins - it means morning has come and it's time to wake up,
- they bathe the child in the bath, feed him, then sing him a lullaby - it means it's time to fall asleep for a long time, night has come,
- it is useful to accompany the repeating actions with music, lamentations, but always the same, the baby needs to get used to them, and then something like a conditioned reaction will develop,
- exclude active games and any physical activity from evening communication - the same massages, workouts, for example.
How to make a baby sleep
Once you have identified the cause, you need to take action to fix the problem. Try to lay your baby at the same time! Do not wake up the baby at night for feeding. This disrupts the biological clock of the baby. If he gets hungry, he wakes up himself. Breastfeeding a baby can forcibly frighten, as a result of which the baby will not take breasts.
The usual bedtime routines, which include breastfeeding, bathing, reading a fairy tale, quickly teach the baby to fall asleep on time. In the first months of life, crying is associated with hunger. Breastfeeding a newborn at night is 2-3 times, during the day it can reach up to 14-16 times.
Many pediatricians recommend not refusing a child and do not limit the duration of application. Every month, the number and duration of attachments is reduced. After three months, the baby should sleep calmly for 7-8 hours without feeding.
Feeding at night should take place calmly and quietly in dim light. From night feeding refuse in 10-12 months of life of babies. Daytime feeding is carried out vigorously and actively. Talk with your child, sing funny songs and tell poems, play.
Do not allow a grown child to play in the crib, as the crib should only be used for sleeping. But let the baby sleep with his favorite toy, which will give a feeling of calm and security.
How much time does a newborn baby sleep during the day
Immediately after birth, the life of every mother changes dramatically. Now, the first thing she needs to do is take care of the little man, her child. If the first child was born, then the young mother may be worried that their baby sleeps almost round the clock, so we will try to answer this common question (how much should the newborn baby normally sleep in the first days of life).
How many hours a day a newborn baby sleeps
The first month after birth, children spend most of their time in a dream. The answer to the question of how many hours a newborn baby sleeps per day is possible only by naming the general average statistics of -16 -20 hours. After all, in fact, each child is individual. And the duration of sleep is sometimes not the main indicator to find out whether the baby is growing and developing well or not.
If your child does not show signs of anxiety. he has a good appetite, acceptable body temperature, regular stool, which means that everything is in order, and let him sleep as much as his body requires. With good health, it is quite acceptable that the sleep of a newborn child will be only 16-17 hours a day. and the rest of the time he will be awake. This is all part of the norm.
(We recommend watching the video :)
Norms of night sleep
Normally, a baby’s night sleep can be 8–9 hours. provided that you feed him on demand. There are two sides to the coin - if the child will sleep with you, most likely your sleep will be more calm and long.
My mother smells of milk, I feel such a heartbeat, warmth. The baby at any time, near you, can kiss the chest. If you practice separate sleep, then the first two postpartum weeks, be prepared for the fact that you have to sleep sitting next to the bed. Feeding in this approach to sleep is better to establish by the clock, set the mode. But as the data show, nevertheless, with a separate dream, sleep is more short-lived than in a joint one - not more than 6-7 hours.
Useful links on sleeping and feeding:
If you swaddle a baby, the newborn’s sleep will also be calmer and stronger.
The kid still does not distinguish between time of day, and may well confuse day and night. This becomes a real problem for mom, and she can neither plan housework nor get enough sleep herself, which negatively affects her well-being and lactation. If this happened, the baby’s sleep needs to be gently but surely turned in the right direction. Do not put it too early in the evening, presumably set the time for sleep and try to pump the baby at this time, plus or minus an hour. The very next day, the child will return to the usual way of life for everyone, in the afternoon - hours of wakefulness, at night - sleep.
Walks in the fresh air are very good for a child’s sleep. The lungs are saturated with oxygen, the baby easily falls asleep, and in good weather, daytime sleep on the street can be as much as six hours in a row! But to maintain breastfeeding, you should put the baby to the chest at least every three hours, do not forget about it. (See how much milk a newborn should eat)
How much time a newborn sleeps may depend on the emotional situation in the family. If a mother has to do the rest of the homework as before, in addition to taking care of the baby, she is very exhausted and tired. After childbirth, the child remains in close contact with the mother, so her anxiety will affect his emotional state. He can wake up every half hour, demanding care, attention, mother's caress. Such a lack of regime will quickly exhaust all strength. Therefore, to maintain a healthy sleep for yourself and your child, create coziness and comfort in your home.
We read further on the topic of sleep:
Why a newborn baby dreams about different aspects of sleep
To look for the answer to the question of what a newborn baby dreams of is in the aspects of the dream itself. Cute boy or little girl - everything in a dream is of paramount importance.
In general, children can dream of a surprise or a long-awaited gift in a dream.
Waking up in the morning, it is important to recall how the baby from night dreams was behaving, whether he was healthy or, conversely, sick - every detail will help in decoding
Newborns: a boy in a dream
Boys dream of financial well-being, success and increased income. The larger and more contented the infant in the kingdom of Morpheus, the more cash receipts can be expected in the near future.
More boys dream of new acquaintances. But the crying or not healthy-looking baby symbolizes empty chores in reality. After such a dream there will be a lot of fuss in life, and undertakings will not bring long-awaited fruits.
Newborns: a girl in a dream
Girls who star in women in real life are harbingers of change, a happy female fate, simple family happiness.
Also see the baby in a dream - to well-being, unexpected joy and positive surprise. The pregnant woman can see in a dream the sex of the unborn child. Therefore, such a woman should decipher the dream from the point of view of the sex of the fetus in the womb.
What is the dream of a newborn baby and various manipulations with it, we will consider in more detail.
Activities with a baby in a dream
The circumstances of sleep with newborns include a hint for interpretation. So young children dream of the following:
- Keep the baby or cradle him in a dream - to difficulties in achieving the goal.
- Bathing a newborn means forgiving your misconduct in reality.
- Breastfeeding dreams that your dreams will come true soon.
- A baby’s funeral can be construed as a major health threat in the present.
- The loss of a child and his searches in a dream promise trouble in reality.
For men, newly born children may dream of an increased level of responsibility. If it was possible to reassure a capricious baby in a dream, then in the dreamer's life he will have fun.
Miller's dream book contains interesting information, in which there is a mention that recently born children dream of a change of fate. And Freud believed that this dream symbolizes the willingness to become parents.
When a real naked baby is dreaming, his parents or waking relatives should monitor his health. Such an interpretation is in Tsvetkov’s dream book.
A small person in a dream, as in life, brings joy, pleasant chores and cares to the world. Therefore, you should not expect from these dreams something sinister or fatal. But small warnings are still contained in such dreams.
You just need to take note of the signs in time, and the problems will be resolved in your favor.
How to provide a child with a sound sleep
1. The child needs to sleep a certain number of hours per day. So, the baby needs about 18-20 hours of sleep per day, and the grown-up child already needs about 14 hours to rest day and night. Focus on tabular norms - they will let you understand how to adjust the regime taking into account the age and individual characteristics of the crumbs.
2. Children are easily overworked and difficult to reassure if they are highly overexcited. What we often forget about. The younger the child, the less time he can stay awake without the accumulation of fatigue.
In this case, it is important to monitor the signs of fatigue in the child and spend the last hour before bedtime in calm games that will slow him down. Here, work with fine motor skills will help: (they can remove the word) games with different fabrics, sorting cereals or beads (under the supervision of an adult), modeling, finger painting
Do not forget about the ritual before bedtime, which sets in motion for rest and helps the baby to relax.
3. Children react strongly to external stimuli, especially light and noise
Therefore, it is important to create suitable conditions for relaxation, starting from birth
If it’s light in the nursery, it will be difficult for the child to fall asleep. And here's why: the hormone melatonin, which determines how we sleep, is produced only in the dark. At the same time, it easily collapses under the influence of light, especially the blue spectrum. If the baby sleeps in the light of day and night, this greatly reduces the quality of his sleep, and the production of melatonin decreases. If light enters a child, it passes through the fontanel directly into the brain and destroys the already accumulated melatonin
Therefore, it is important even in the morning to keep the darkness in the room.
Also, in the light, the child will be distracted by the objects surrounding him, and not tune in to rest.
How to create the right atmosphere:
- Darken the room with dark curtains and make sure that no light comes from electrical appliances.
- Is it worth creating silence? The best option is to use white noise, which drowns out extraneous household sounds when the baby is sleeping.White noise is not addictive and is a positive association for falling asleep.
4. The biological rhythms of children work differently than in adults. For children, night care is physiological between 18.00 and 20.00 and rise no later than 7 in the morning. This mode allows the baby to get the required amount of high-quality night sleep, since the first half of the night the sleep passes in the main deep phase. During this period, an active recovery of the body occurs. Early laying is possible from 4 months until school age.
5. It is easier for a child to live according to the regimen. Following the daily routine gives the baby a sense of predictability and clarity throughout the day. It is easier to put a regimen child to bed, as his internal clock is set to sleep at a certain time. Also, you should not skip daytime sleep in the hope that the child will sleep better at night. In the absence of daytime rest, the baby will go into night more difficult and will sleep restlessly due to overwork.
6. Rises at night are the norm. In the first months of life, the frequent awakenings of a newborn baby are due to physiology.
But as they grow older, sleep becomes more consolidated and by the year the child is already able to sleep all night without awakening. More precisely, the child will wake up between sleep cycles, but will fall back to sleep after a couple of minutes. Provided that he knows how to do it on his own. Babies who do not have this basic skill (and it is acquired, like the ability to attach to the chest, chew and walk) need outside help to prolong sleep. These “helpers” are motion sickness, chest, bottle, nipple, mother's presence nearby.
7. Positive sleep associations make bedding easier. The inclusion of white noise, the use of a favorite toy, sleeping in a sleeping bag and the ritual of falling asleep and awakening come to the aid when working on a child’s sleep.
8. The child should have a permanent berth. Best if it will be a crib. It should be nothing but a dense mattress with a sheet on an elastic band. The pillow and blanket are not needed for the baby in the first year of life - it is better to use a children's sleeping bag. A soft toy can be put in a crib after six months.
9. The state of the mother is easily transmitted to the child. If you help calm your baby, calm yourself. Children easily read our emotions with the help of mirror neurons, which actively work for them in the first years of life.
Embrace the ritual before bedtime. Hugging the child, you act on his peripheral nervous system and calm him.
Check the table that you use sleep aids and avoid its destroyers:
The effect of sleep phases on the baby
An adult has many phases - about six, but small children tend to alternate only two:
- Calm and deep sleep. Children at such moments are completely relaxed and resting.
- Restless (superficial) sleep. The kid also has a rest, nevertheless, the brain is active, the baby tosses and turns, flinches, moves its handles, grimaces. Waking him up is pretty easy now - shifting, talking too loudly.
The calm phase occupies a large part — 60 percent of the total duration, and the surface — the rest of the time. Within two to three hours of sleep, the crumbs both phases succeed each other after 20-30 minutes. While the baby is still very small, the corresponding periods last:
- up to six months - 50 minutes (30 minutes deep and 20 minutes hectic). It comes to three to four cycles,
- from six months to two years - 70 minutes. The number of cycles at a similar age depends on the total duration of sleep,
- from two years to six - up to 120 minutes.
True, the older the baby becomes, the faster other phases characteristic of adults are added to the phases of sleep - a slow superficial, paradoxical, for example. But parents should understand, in your opinion, the baby sleeps soundly, nevertheless, the phase of deep sleep from time to time is replaced by the phase of restless, and during this period any sneeze can wake the baby. Therefore, try not to interrupt the sleep of the newborn ahead of time:
- observe silence by removing street noise and muffling a working TV,
- turn off the bright light by switching to a nightlight in the evening,
- cover the windows with curtains during the day.
Duration of baby sleep at different ages
In the initial periods of an infant's life, the duration of sleep varies greatly depending on the number of days lived. The opinion of medicine in this regard is as follows:
- In the first two weeks, newborns sleep literally the whole day, for 20 - 22 hours. Moreover, since the babies still do not distinguish between the concepts of “day” and “night,” during the day they sleep in fits and starts, for two to three hours, at night the sleep of a newborn child lasts only a little longer, about four hours. But still, a weak body makes you wake up - the child needs to eat and gain the necessary “fuel”, thanks to which the baby is able to live on. It is foolish to be nervous due to night awakenings for feeding - without eating every three to four hours, the baby will simply die.
- Then the baby begins to bounce back a little, and the next few weeks, the duration of sleep decreases slightly, to about 16 - 18 hours a day, depending on the personality of the baby. Now, if the baby’s daily routine is set up correctly, it’s easy to teach six hours to sleep at night, and there will be no harm from such a long period without food. In the afternoon, having slept for a couple of hours, and then having a strong meal, the baby does not fall asleep immediately, and for a while “walks” - gets acquainted with the environment, communicates with parents and relatives. Then the weakness takes its toll, and the baby falls asleep again to save strength.
- By the end of the third month, the baby “wins” a little more time from nature in order to study the world around it more fully. Now the baby's sleep should be about 15-16 hours.
- From three months to six months, the baby’s sleep gradually lengthens up to 8-10 hours, despite the total daily sleep time remaining within 15 hours. The remaining time is divided into three intervals, and their baby needs to be “refilled” during the day. The first interval falls in the morning, after morning feeding, and it lasts an hour and a half - two. Two more “quiet hours” fall in the afternoon.
- From six months to nine, the duration of the baby's daily sleep is gradually reduced to 12 hours. In addition to sleep, an hour at nine, the baby still needs to sleep in the afternoon, and twice, before and after dinner, an hour and a half or two.
- Nine-month-olds have already been sleeping for 10–11 hours, and they also need two brief afternoon naps. This mode will last up to about a year. Now the child needs to strictly adhere to the daily routine, not violating either on workdays, on weekends, or during a trip to visit, for example, his grandmother. True, there are exceptions - the baby’s disease.
- Up to one and a half years, the baby gradually reduces the duration of daily sleep. At night, the child will sleep eight to nine hours, and about an hour and a half, it is advisable for him to sleep during the day, after lunch.
It is easier to navigate in these time intervals with a compact table.
|Baby age ||Duration |
sleep day / night
|first 2 weeks|
|1st - 2nd months|
|from 3 to 6 months|
|from 6 to 9 months|
|from 9 months to a year|
|up to one and a half years|
What the dreamer did in the dream
- Bathed a child - to profit.
- Did the baby reach for you? In real life, you will meet a nice person.
- Is it a dream that the kid was stolen? Bad sign foreshadowing resentment and failure.
- Steal a newborn yourself - get dishonest profit.
Talking with only a boy born and hearing wise advice from him means that in reality the dreamer should heed the advice he heard so that you can avoid trouble.
- Hold the baby in her arms and look for the diaper unsuccessfully - the dreamer should beware of the betrayal of friends.
- Take it in your hands and hug it tightly - you will find a way out of a difficult situation.
- To hold a baby of a stranger in his arms and feed him - to the disappointment of others.
Starting from the very birth of the child and up to a year, and then up to two or more years, the duration of baby sleep can change every month - two, and in a newborn - even after two weeks. The dates given by us are considered averaged, because all the children are individual, and you should not "push" them into the "Procrustean bed", forcing you to sleep for a strictly defined time.
Rather, this: everything is in order with the baby with at least an approximate similar regime. But in the case of a noticeable release of the baby's sleep from the agreed framework, it's time to consult a pediatrician.
First of all, it depends on the parents whether their baby will gradually sleep at night longer and longer - simple rules will help to achieve a long, sound sleep.
Sleep disturbance in a child is quite common, almost all parents are familiar with this problem. The reasons for this are very different. They can be caused not only by the age characteristics of children, but also by an incorrectly organized regime of day and night. Below you will find out, the child does not sleep well, often wakes up, cries, and how to deal with this problem.